Honey Walnut Shrimp recipe from Kevin and Jeffrey Tang of America’s Test Kitchen
Jeffrey Tang writes that he was as soon as requested to arrange honey walnut shrimp for a corporation potluck:
“The one downside is that we have by no means seen this dish in Hong Kong. It exists, nevertheless it’s not as in style as it’s within the US. (Particularly at Panda Categorical!)
“At first we had been skeptical. Crispy fried shrimp coated in mayonnaise? Then we tried it and requested ourselves: The place has this dish been all our lives?!”
Relating to his interpretation of the American-Chinese language favourite, Tang says: “Our secret substances are Kewpie, the much-loved Japanese mayonnaise, in addition to condensed milk, which provides a particular sweetness to the sauce.”
Honey Nut Shrimp (Hetao Chia Nut Shrimp)
Complete time: 1 hour, plus 45 minutes for chilling and chilling
½ cup walnuts
2 tablespoons water
2 tablespoons sugar
¼ teaspoon plus 1/8 teaspoon desk salt, divided
1 pound jumbo shrimp (16 to twenty per pound), peeled and deveined
1 giant egg white
1 teaspoon Shaoxing wine
¼ teaspoon white pepper
1 / 4 cup of Kewpie mayonnaise
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1 tablespoon sweetened condensed milk
1 teaspoon honey
2 liters peanut oil for frying
1/2 cup cornstarch
Retailer-bought candied walnuts will be changed with do-it-yourself walnuts. As a result of we warmth the oil to 425 levels, you will need to use peanut oil for frying.
1. Line a baking tray with parchment paper. Toast the nuts in an 8- or 10-inch nonstick skillet over medium warmth till aromatic and browned, about 3 minutes. Shortly add the water, sugar, and 1/8 teaspoon salt and stir with a rubber spatula to evenly coat the nuts. Prepare dinner, stirring usually, till sugar combination caramelizes and nuts start to clump collectively, 2 to three minutes. Switch the nuts to the ready layer and unfold them in an excellent layer. Let cool fully, about half-hour, then crack the nuts together with your arms; Sit apart. (Candied walnuts will be saved in an hermetic container for as much as one week.)
2. Dry the shrimp with paper towels. Whisk the egg whites, Shaoxing wine, pepper, and 1/4 teaspoon salt collectively in a big bowl; Add shrimp and toss to coat. Refrigerate for quarter-hour. Mix mayonnaise, lemon juice, condensed milk, and honey in a separate giant bowl. Sit apart.
3. Place a wire rack on a rimmed baking sheet and canopy with a triple layer of paper towels. Add oil to a 14-inch flat-bottomed skillet or giant Dutch oven till it’s about 1 1/2 inches deep and warmth over medium-high warmth to 425 levels.
4. Add cornstarch to a medium bowl. Working with one shrimp at a time, dredge them within the cornstarch, urgent firmly till they stick, then shake off the surplus and switch to a big plate. To work rapidly, use tongs or chopsticks to select up half the shrimp by the tail and punctiliously switch them to the recent oil, transferring items as wanted till they’re individually fried. Fry shrimp till mild golden brown and crispy, about 4 minutes. Regulate the burner, if needed, to take care of the oil temperature between 400 and 425 levels. Utilizing a spider scraper or slotted spoon, switch shrimp to ready rack. Return the oil to 425 levels and repeat with the remaining shrimp.
5. Add the shrimp and candied walnuts to the bowl of mayonnaise combination and toss gently to coat. serves.
Please use Kewpie or we’ll alert the authorities!
Kewpie mayonnaise is made with egg yolks and rice vinegar (amongst different particular substances) and has a Dutch high quality. (It is the identical kind of mayonnaise utilized in Spicy Tuna Maki Rolls.) Severely, do not substitute it!
for additional info:
(Tags for translation) Recipes