Traditional fish soup recipe by Matt Tebbutt
Saturday Kitchen star Matt Tebbutt shares his tackle a standard fish soup crammed with mussels, cod, scallops and no matter seafood you want.
Conventional fish soup
1 kg of combined marine fish – with bones if potential, however solely fillet slices are high-quality. Any lobster claws, shells or prawns within the shell can be an important addition
1 white onion
1 head of garlic, divided into cloves
1 star anise
½ fennel bulb
3 celery sticks
2 bay leaves
1 small bunch of thyme
125 ml Noilly Prat
2 tablespoons tomato paste
400 grams can of tomatoes
1 pinch of saffron
1 handful of tarragon
1 kilogram of cleaned shelled mussels
50 ml of white wine or Noilly Prat
1 bay leaf and a crushed garlic clove
1 small sea bass, grey mullet or different British marine fish
200 grams cod fillet
1 pink mullet or guernard (optionally available)
1. Start by sautéing greens and aromatics (besides tarragon) in some oil for 15 to twenty minutes, till they’re tender and beginning to colour.
2. Add the fish, shells, if utilizing, bones and all to the pan and proceed cooking for an additional 10 minutes or so earlier than including the tomato paste, saffron threads, vermouth or wine, and the tomatoes.
3. Cook dinner till paste then barely cowl with water and simmer for half-hour.
4. After this time, beat the fish briefly with a hand blender to get probably the most out of the fish, earlier than draining it in a colander and pushing as a lot liquid out of the bones as potential.
5. Take away these bones away, then add the tarragon to the broth and boil till it reduces in quantity. Trim off any fats as you go. Cut back to about half the scale. Style and season accordingly.
6. Take a dry pot with a lid and place it on excessive warmth. Add the mussels, Noilly Prat, bay and garlic clove, then instantly cowl with a lid and shake the pan now and again.
7. After two to 3 minutes, ensure all of the mussels are open. Take away from warmth. Tip in a sieve or strainer. Depart to chill earlier than selecting the meat from the shells. Discard something that doesn’t open.
8. Now filter this drink via a high-quality mesh sieve or Chinese language sieve and add it to the diminished inventory.
9. Reduce the remainder of the fish into slices after which fry it with the scallops on one aspect (relying on the thickness). Keep heat.
10. To serve, place a number of the cooked fish within the backside of a serving bowl, then ladle a number of the fish soup over it.
11. For the right crowning glory, add toasted bread and do-it-yourself rouille.
Matt Tebbutt’s ProCook kitchen favorites will be present in retailer and on-line at procook.co.uk.
(Tags for translation)Chef